After power was generated in Green River Falls in 1907 to serve Green River Mills, the small town of Tuxedo developed. When the need for a place to worship was evident, a Union Church was organized assisted by the Methodist conference. Methodist ministers who assisted our mission church were: Reverends Litaker, Moore, Newell, Coble, Burgess, and Shelton.
The people moving into Tuxedo continued to be predominantly Baptist, so the Methodist conference decided to withdraw and leave the field clear for the Baptist to organize a church. Tuxedo Baptist church was organized with twenty-four charter members in 1910.
Meetings were held in various homes throughout the community during the progress so far noted. About this time, Green River Manufacturing Company deeded to the church the present site on condition that it would be used upon which to build a church. Meetings were held in the Community Building until a small wood-frame church was constructed in 1920. Classrooms were later added to the back of the church.
The growth of the church soon made it necessary to add extra space in the auditorium and additional classrooms. A belfry and baptistery were constructed.
In 1945 during the ministry of Rev. Wayne Peek, a church-wide revival began that continued for three years. Eighty-four converts were baptized in one day. Five young men surrendered to the call of the ministry. A very large of souls were saved and joined our church and surrounding churches.
The late R. W. Boys deeded to the church land upon which a parsonage was erected in early 1948. The church also purchased two acres for a Tuxedo Baptist Church Cemetery. This land was purchased from the Bell family.
A new educational building was erected in 1961. Soon after this, the wood-frame church was torn down. Worship services were held in the fellowship hall of the educational building until our new sanctuary was dedicated on March 15, 1970.
In 1979, the church Fellowship building was constructed. In 1980, the church invested in two acres of property adjacent to Camp Bear Walla. (The camp was purchased by the Carolina Baptist Association.) The parsonage was completely remodeled in 1981.
A beautiful new parsonage was built near the Tuxedo First Baptist Church Cemetery in 1990. In 1993, a “note-burning” service was held in thanksgiving for the parsonage being completely paid off.
In 2006, the old parsonage was renovated and now serves as the church office and media center as well as conference room for meetings. We also endorsed by-laws for the cemetery.
Baptist pastors that have served our church are: Reverends Brown, Slattery, King, Foster, A. B. Jones, M.L. Lewis, George Greer, Wade Worley, E.M. Walker, Wayne Peek, Harold McKinnish, W.M. Belcher, Randall Joines, Grady Hamby, R.A. Pate, Homer Couch, Curtis Waters, Douglas Whitfield, Walter Adams, James Reed, and Don Lesley. At the present time Mikell Bennett in our pastor.